If you own your own property and your energy is supplied by us, we may be able to offer you a free gas saftey check. You're eligible if:
- You live with a child who is under five years old; or
- You are of pensionable age, disabled or chronically sick and live alone; or
- You are of pensionable age, disabled or chronically sick and live with others who are all of pensionable age, disabled, chronically sick or under 18.
- You receive a means-tested benefit and
- You have not had a gas safety check at your premises in the last twelve months.
The safety checks are carried out on gas appliances and gas fittings, free of charge, by a person who is authorised to work on gas appliances. The check includes examining the effectiveness of any flue, the supply of combustion air, its operating pressure and/or heat input; and that it's operating safely.
If any of your appliances fail the gas safety check, they'll be disconnected and labelled as unsafe. You should not use them until they've been repaired by a qualified person. If you rent your home, your landlord needs to carry out gas safety checks annually. If you don't qualify for the free check, make sure you get a qualified engineer to check your gas appliances regularly. If you have any further questions, call us on 0800 269 450.