A smart thermostat is a device that manages your heating and can be controlled by your phone, tablet or computer. It shows you how much energy you're using, monitors your use and also learns your routine, which means it'll start to turn on when you usually put the heating on.
It works by connecting to the internet and letting you set a heating schedule. Some smart thermostats can even turn themselves on as you're approaching home by tracking you with GPS.
A smart thermostat is a smart home essential. Along with smart lighting and an Amazon Echo, a smart thermostat – such as the Netatmo Smart Thermostat by Starck – gives a new level of control and allows you to manage your energy use.
No matter where you are, you can have complete control of your home’s temperature directly from your smartphone, tablet and computer. Because you can turn your heating on with your smart phone, you can make sure your heating is on when you're headed back from holiday or when you pop out unexpectedly and don't want the heating on while you're out.
What can the Netatmo Smart Thermostat do?
No matter where you are – have complete control of your home’s temperature directly from your smartphone, tablet and PC.
You’ll be able to keep track of your previous usage patterns and set up your own personalised heating schedule – so your home is warm when you need it.
You can now buy a Netatmo Smart Thermostat by Starck from the EDF Energy Smart Home Store.
Our HeatSmart® package combines the Netatmo Smart Thermostat by Starck with installation. For £199 you can have it professionally fitted with an extended product warranty (two years) giving you peace of mind and simplicity.
- The Netatmo Smart Thermostat and app
- Professional installation and a two-year product warranty
- Easy-to-use remote control heating system
- Ongoing analysis so you can monitor your heating patterns
- 'Frost-Guard' function to protect your system against freezing in winter
- 'Auto-Adapt' to automatically adjust your schedule if the weather is cold
We chose the Netatmo Smart Thermostat after testing the leading products in real homes. We also decided to offer the thermostat with installation and an extended product warranty (two years) to give our customers peace of mind and simplicity. The features and benefits of smart thermostats vary, as does the price so Which?, who independently review consumer products, have written a useful article about HeatSmart®.
Want a HeatSmart® ?
HeatSmart® by EDF Energy is suitable for most homes but you'll need to check you have the following before we can install the thermostat:
- A compatible working boiler and central heating system – gas, oil or heat pumps
- Heating controls with a programmer and/or a thermostat (1)
- A wireless broadband router and good wi-fi coverage across your home (2)
- A smartphone, tablet, PC or laptop with Android or Apple (Windows and Blackberry phones are not compatible)(3)
- Permission from your landlord if you're renting
- HeatSmart® is available anywhere in mainland UK
To check whether your boiler and central heating system are suitable you can use the compatibility tool. Remember to return to this website to secure our exclusive offer for the Netatmo Smart Thermostat.
- Installations will be carried out by a qualified installer from our appointed installer, HomeServe Connect
- Installations will be Monday to Friday from 9am–5pm (except bank holidays) and will take about two hours
- The Netatmo Smart Thermostat can replace wired or wireless thermostats. You can have it wall mounted or place it in a location of your choice.
- If you have more than one heating zone you'll need a thermostat for each heating zone
- You (or your nominated representative) will need to be present during the installation
- You’ll need your wi-fi password and the devices you’ll use to control your thermostat (smartphone, tablet, PC)
- If you have any problems with your internet connection you can still operate the thermostat manually when you're at home
Warranty and cancellation
- Your Netatmo smart thermostat is provided with a two-year product warranty which starts on the date of installation
- HomeServe Connect provides a one-year installation warranty which starts on the date of installation
- If you have any difficulties with your HeatSmart® during these warranty periods please contact HomeServe Connect on 0800 953 3080 or by email at email@example.com
- You have 14 days from the date of installation to cancel your HeatSmart®. If you cancel before the thermostat has been installed, HomeServe Connect will refund the payment within 14 days
- If the thermostat has already been installed, HomeServe Connect will arrange an appointment to remove the thermostat and refund the payment within 14 days of its removal
What happens next
- Once you’ve bought HeatSmart® and booked your installation online, HomeServe Connect will send you an email to confirm all the appointment details
- You’ll then need to download the Netatmo app and set up an account
- Installation will be Monday to Friday 9am–5pm (except bank holidays) and you (or your nominated representative) will need to be around during the installation
- You can then begin to enjoy greater control of your heating with the reassurance your installation is covered by a one-year warranty and your thermostat is covered by a two-year warranty
Full list of compatibility requirements
iOS 9 minimum required for iPhone, iPad, iPod.
Android 4.2 minimum required with access to Google Play
Compatible with Wi-fi 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz).
Supported security: Open//WEP/WPA/WPA2-personal (TKIP et AES).
Wireless connection between thermostat and relay: radio long-range
The HeatSmart® thermostat comes with a two-year warranty and there's an installation warranty of one year.
When purchasing HeatSmart® you'll need to agree to HomeServe Connect's T&Cs for the thermostat and installation. Read HomeServe Connect's contract terms and conditions here. HomeServe Connect will book a convenient time to carry out the installation, using qualified installers.
HeatSmart® is a registered trademark of EDF Energy plc.
If you have any problems with your HeatSmart® - either with the Netatmo Thermostat or with your installation - please contact your installation partner:
For installations before 1 July 2017 please call 0800 915 4321 then press option 4
For installations after 1 July 2017 please call 0800 953 3080