Helping you during Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic

We're pleased to say that we're now in a position where our meter operators are starting to return back to the field. What this means is that we're able to accept applications and liaise with your chosen meter operator to see if they can offer an appointment for your new connection. There are still some restrictions in place for certain types of metering whilst staff are returning back to the field, but once we've reviewed your application we can advise you on this. Non-emergency appointments in Scotland are still on hold until further notice in line with the latest guidance. We apologise for any inconvenience.

There are now extra checks that we need to put in place to guarantee the safety of the meter operators, so you'll be asked to provide extra information after we've received and reviewed your application form.

Please note that if you do not have the cabling in place to support your new meter then you should contact your local Distribution Network Operator.

Please note that if you do not have the cabling in place to support your new meter then you should contact your local Distribution Network Operator.

You should only complete this form if you wish EDF Energy to be your electricity supplier.

To complete the New Connection Application form (below) you will need:

  • Safety - COVID-19
    With the safety of our engineers still the forefront of any appointments booked can you ensure you accurately complete the COVID safety questions at the end of the form and include any supporting instructions. This will also allow us to manage our engineers time for any delays that may occur ie lateral flow test needed.

  • Your MPAN
    This will be provided by your Distribution Network Operator once you have agreed a quote for your new supply. A list of Distribution Network Operators can be found here.

  • Size of supply, KVA and Voltage
    The size and the type of supply being installed will be on the paperwork from the Distribution Network Operator.

    - Supplies 100 amps or smaller: We will need the size of the supply in amps and the voltage
    - Supplies larger than 100 amps, Low Voltage We will need the size of the supply in amps, The KVA, the Voltage and CT ratios
    - Supplies larger than 100 amps, High Voltage or Extra High Voltage: We will need the size of the supply in amps, The KVA, the Voltage, the CT ant VT ratios and if there are any additional metering requirements

  • Type of metering required
    We will need to know the type of meter you would like installed. This will depend on the size of your supply, the voltage and your requirements. If you are a Micro Business requesting PC1-4 new connection EDF are obliged to offer you a smart meter. If you have any questions about this we can be contacted on 0845 366 3666

  • Distribution Network Operator
    For Half Hourly CT metering your distribution network operator will usually give a named contact for the project. We need the name and contact details of this person and the reference number for the project

  • Meter Operator
    If you require AMR or Half Hourly metering then an additional contract will need to be in place between the bill payer and their chosen metering company to supply the meter. EDF Energy do offer this service and can be contacted on 0208 298 8005 to discuss. Alternatively other metering companies offering a similar service can be found on the Association of Meter Operators website. We will need confirmation on the application form of your chosen meter operator

  • Site Contact Details
    We will need the name, contact number and email address of the best person to speak to on the day of the metering appointment in case the engineer has any issues e.g. site access

  • Bill payer
    We will need the full details of the company who will be responsible for paying the electricity bills and the name and contact details of the person responsible for any account related queries
  • Your details
    We will need full details of the person completing the application form. If this is not a representative employed directly by the bill paying company then the form will need to be accompanied by a letter of authority from the bill payer

New connection for your business electricity supply

1 Start 2 Organisation 3 Account and site details 4 Metering and supply 5 Contact details 6 Terms and Conditions 7 Review your application 8 Complete
All questions must be answered, unless marked (optional)
Your details
Name of person completing the application form.
Company employed by.
Please provide a UK Landline or mobile number. Leave no spaces.
Files must be less than 2 MB.
Allowed file types: gif jpg jpeg png pdf doc docx.

Registering your MPAN

To register your MPAN and arrange an installation date we will require a minimum of 20 working days notice. This is 20 days from receipt of a completed application where a supply contract has been agreed.

You will need the MPAN specific to the site together with additional information regarding the size and type of supply. If you do not have the MPAN for a new supply please contact your Distribution Network Operator. Please note that within the London distribution area (MPAN begins 12) it is the customer's responsibility to install a CT cabinet for any CT supply. How to find your Meter Point Administration Number.

In order to progress your application we will conduct a credit check and we may request a security deposit to support a supply contract.

In the event of a formal contract not being in place at the time of the first invoice we will calculate your charges based on our deemed prices.

If you are looking to split an existing supply please contact the New Supply Administration Team by telephone on 0845 366 3666(1).


As a guide whole current metering is generally installed on supplies that are 100 amp or smaller, typically 0-72 KVA.

Current Transformer (CT) metering is typically installed on supplies that are 200 amps or larger generally with 72KVA or more allocated. This size of supply will require Half Hourly CT metering and you will need to have set up a Half Hourly metering contract.

If you would like AMR or Half Hourly then you will need to have set up a metering contract in advance with your chosen metering team for this type of meter to be installed. EDF Energy's Meter Operator business can be contacted at: or by phone on 0208 2988005. Alternatively the a full list of providers is available from the Association of Meter Operators.

Help and support for different types of installation

If you need help completing a new connection application please contact the New Supply team on 0845 366 3666.(1)

If you need help applying for an end-to-end managed installation please contact Infrastructure Services on 0845 300 6962.(1)

If your meter is to supply a residential property then please contact our Developer Services team on: 0333 200 5117(1) or email

Read our guide to establishing a new electricity supply