Energy-saving tips to help you reduce your energy bills at home
With the cost of living on the rise, there's never been a better time to cut your energy bills and be kind to the planet. We've put together some tips to help you and your family reduce your energy use in every room of your home.
1. Home heating - top tips to cut your heating bills
Over half of our energy bills spend goes on heating and hot water. It's really important to look at our home heating habits and see if there are small changes we can make to reduce our heating bill.
If your budget allows, do check whether you could benefit from extra measures that would keep your home warm more efficiently, saving on your energy bills in the long term:
- Insulation - keep the warmth in. Did you know that only 7.5% of UK homes have an insulation age of 2002 or younger? This means a huge number of houses are not meeting the current insulation regulations.
- Boiler cover - includes boiler efficiency checks
- Boiler replacement - new boilers are much more efficient
2. Kitchen - reduce your energy use even when cooking and washing up
3. Bathroom - energy saving ideas for your bathroom
Did you know that about 12% of a typical gas-heated home's energy bill is from heating the water for showers, baths and water from the hot tap? [Source Energy Savings Trust 02/02/2022]
Here are some quick ways to save water and money on your energy bills
4. Home lighting and electronics - keep the lights on for less
5. Don't pay more - Check if your energy tariff is the best for you
Reviewing your energy tariff regularly could also save you money. If you're not ready to switch your tariff because of the high energy prices, leave us your email address, and we'll let you know when prices come down.
6. A smart meter could help you save
It's important now, more than ever, to stay in control of your energy. With a smart meter, you'll easily be able to track your energy usage and see where you can save so that you can lower your bills and your carbon footprint.
Smart benefits include:
- Upgrade your meter at no extra cost
- You're in control - you can see the cost of your energy
- Receive more accurate bills
- Get a more personalised breakdown of your energy use with Energy Hub(2)
- If you use cards or keys, you can top up online
7. Other ways to reduce energy at home
There are lots of ways you can help your wallet and the planet by being more energy conscious. There are lots of other ways you can help to reduce energy at home and save the planet at the same time. Find out more about what makes an energy efficint home and get more energy efficiency tips in our Energywise blog.