For most general household requirements, there are two main types of energy-efficient bulbs. These are LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) and CFLs (Compact Flourescent Lamps).
While both of these options are more energy efficient than traditional incandescent bulbs, LEDs are more efficient than CFLs. Unlike older-style 'low-energy' bulbs, LEDs offer improved light quality from the moment you turn them on. LEDs are longer lasting too (up to 25 years per bulb)(2) and come in a wide variety of designs and fittings. And to give you an idea of their efficiency, if every bulb in your house was replaced with LED bulbs of the same brightness, you could save around £35 per year on your electricity bills.(1)
Once you've installed energy-saving lights, you can still reduce your bills by being more energy wise around the home, for instance:
- Switch the lights out when you leave the room. Sounds obvious - but how often do you do it?
- Keep an eye on how many lights you have on at once and ask yourself which ones you really need
- Check the positioning of your light switches - if you can turn the lights off at the end of the hallway, you're less likely to waste electricity. Moving a light switch is a simple job for a qualified electrician
- Where appropriate, install movement sensors and timers. That way you won't have to remember to switch off
- Choose the right kind of lighting. If you're reading or writing, a small directional lamp might be more efficient than a large, overhead light.
In short, yes. All traditional incandescent bulbs are now banned as part of the shift towards more efficient technologies within the EU. The less efficient halogen bulbs will also be phased out by the EU in 2018.(1) This is good news because it means the whole of Europe will use less energy through lighting, and because energy-efficient lightbulbs are becoming cheaper all the time, it's a win win!
A typical UK home has 34-36 individual light bulbs.(3) To make sure you choose the right type, use our chart to identify the fitting you need.
How to use our chart:
We've teamed up with Lamp Specs, a lighting specialist who supplies light bulbs to homes and businesses in over 100 countries worldwide.
Lamp Specs have worked with us to select a range of the best energy-efficient LED light bulbs to suit your needs. To help you make the right choice, we recommend these two types of bulb from Lamp Specs; Megaman and LUCECO.
- Megaman are a leading lighting manufacturer with a comprehensive range of premium brand light bulbs. They offer a 3-year warranty on all their products
- LUCECO manufacture a range of value brand light bulbs. They offer a 3-year warranty on all their products.
Visit the Lamp Specs online shop and browse the entire range.