Meters and meter readings
I'd like to know about...
I have a smart meter...
I'd like to know...
I'd like to read my...
My electricity meter is...
How do I read an electricity meter with dials?
- The dials on your meter turn in different directions, but the pointer always moves from 0 to 9 (then starts again at 0)
- Read the dials from left to right – but ignore the last dial
- Write down the number shown by the pointer on each dial:
- If the pointer is between two numbers, write down the lower number – except when it sits between 9 and 0
- If the pointer sits between 9 and 0, write down '9'; and reduce the number on the previous dial by one (see example below) – except when it is the first dial
- If the pointer falls between 9 and 0 on the first dial, write down '9' (you don't have to change the number on any other dial because of this)
- The meter reading example below is 44928 (the third dial sits between 9 and 0, so we reduce the '5' on the second dial to '4')
Did you find this page helpful?Helpful thanks!I still need help
Leave feedbackLog into MyAccountHelp Centre home
We're glad we could help.
Need more help?
Contact UsGive feedbackHelp Centre home
Get in touch