How do I read an electricity meter with dials?
- The dials on your meter turn in different directions, but the pointer always moves from 0 to 9 (then starts again at 0)
- Read the dials from left to right – but ignore the last dial
- Write down the number shown by the pointer on each dial:
- If the pointer is between two numbers, write down the lower number – except when it sits between 9 and 0
- If the pointer sits between 9 and 0, write down '9'; and reduce the number on the previous dial by one (see example below) – except when it is the first dial
- If the pointer falls between 9 and 0 on the first dial, write down '9' (you don't have to change the number on any other dial because of this)
- The meter reading example below is 44928 (the third dial sits between 9 and 0, so we reduce the '5' on the second dial to '4')