I'm new to EDF Energy. What do I need to know?
Thanks for choosing EDF Energy – it's great to have you on board. Here's what happens when you first switch over to EDF Energy.
Your welcome pack
You will receive a welcome pack that includes:
- a letter or email confirming your new tariff details, payment method and key dates for your diary (your cool-off period, when you should submit your first meter readings, and your expected switch date)
- information on all the benefits, prices and terms and conditions of your new tariff
- your contract
You'll either get your welcome pack through the post, or we'll email you a link to view it online. You'll receive it by email if you've chosen to go paperless, or have signed up to an online-only tariff. If that's the case, then you'll need to register for MyAccount to view your welcome pack.
Your first meter reading
Your welcome pack will tell you when to give us your first meter reading/s.
As we use this reading to open your account and bill you accurately, it's important to submit your meter readings within the specified time period. If we are supplying you with two fuels, you may get different dates to submit your first electricity meter and your first gas reading.
If you submit your meter reading/s too early or too late, we have to agree an estimated reading with your previous supplier. Your first EDF Energy bill will be based on this estimated reading.
You can submit your meter reading/s via:
- MyAccount - you'll need your postcode and EDF Energy account number to register
- Use the EDF app – it’s available for iOS and Android devices
- our automated phone line - call 0333 200 5108(1)
Remember: only read your meters if it's safe to do so. Talk to one of our customer service advisers at Live Chat if you think it’s unsafe.
Managing your account
Once you receive your welcome pack, you’ll be able to register for MyAccount. Please remember to use the same email address you gave us when you signed up to your account.
MyAccount allows you to track the progress of your account set-up, and manage your account securely at any time - have a look all the things you can do using MyAccount.
- Register for or log into your online account
- Use biometrics log in quickly and securely
- Switch easily between your accounts or properties
- Check your account balance, bills, payment history, energy use and tariff information
- Make payments in an instant
- Receive updates and reminders
- Get help fast – check our FAQs, or send us an SMS or WhatsApp message
- Submit your meter readings – or send us a photo of your meter so we can do it for you
- Get notifications when it’s time to submit your meter readings
- Use our built-in torch to help you read your meter in the dark
Pay As You Go
- Check your balance and top up your meter all in one place
- Get low-balance alerts or set auto top-ups – so you need never run out of credit
- View your top-up history
We’re sorry, but the app isn’t available for prepayment customers.
Your supply start date
We'll let you know once your account set-up is complete, and when we will start supplying your energy.
From there, we’ll be in touch when it’s time to give us your meter readings, or if we need anything else from you.
Until then, just sit back and relax!
(1) Calls to UK wide numbers are included in any inclusive call plan you may have. If you don’t have an inclusive call plan, calls are charged at a national rate. Please check with your service provider if you’re unsure.