Can I change the type of meter I have?
- You may want to change from a standard 'credit' meter to a prepayment or smart meter (or vice versa). You can usually do this for free - but you won't always be able to change straight away.
- You might need to change tariffs when you switch meters: not all tariffs are available for all meter types. If you do need to change tariff, you should check whether you'll pay an exit fee to leave your current tariff.
- If you've moved into a new home that has a prepayment meter, we might be able to swap this to a standard or smart meter if you wish. Please click the Chat button on the right, and our Live Chat team will see what we can do.
Will I always be able to change my meter type?
You'll usually be able to change the type of meter you have. But here are a few situations when you can't swap straight away:
Changing your prepayment meter
You'll usually need to clear debt on a prepayment meter before you can swap it for a standard or smart meter.
Getting a smart meter
You might not be able to get a smart meter yet, if:
- our smart meter installation team hasn't reached your area yet
- your meter set-up is incompatible with smart meters at the moment
- there's a wait for an installation engineer to become available.
How do I get a new type of meter?
|Your meter||The meter you want||How you get it||Useful information|
|Standard (‘Credit’)||Smart||Apply online||How smart meters work|
|Standard (‘Credit’)||Prepayment||Our Live Chat team will help – click the Chat button on the right||How prepayment works|
|Prepayment||Standard ('credit')||Our Live Chat team will help – click the Chat button on the right||How to read your mete|