Energy providers have developed the Energy Switch Guarantee to make clear how you can switch your energy account from one energy provider to another in a simple, reliable and hassle-free way. Your new energy provider will take responsibility for the switch and offers the following commitments:
- All energy providers use the same wires and pipes, therefore your energy supply will not be interrupted.
- The switching service is free.
- The switch will take no more than 21 days from the date your new provider receives your completed application.
- Your new energy provider will not need to visit your home to complete the switch unless you agree otherwise.
- Your new energy provider will arrange the switch, including contacting your current provider to let them know you are leaving.
- Your new energy provider will send you details of your new energy supply agreement for you to check, and you will have 14 days to change your mind. If you cancel in this time, you will stay with your current provider.
- Your new and current providers will work together to make sure you are not charged twice for the same energy
Issues or delays
- If there are any problems making the switch, your new provider will contact you as soon as possible and will be responsible for putting the matter right.
Billing – your current provider's responsibility
- Following the switch your current provider will send you a final bill no later than six weeks after the switch.
- If your current provider owes you any money, they will refund this to you no later than 14 days after sending you the final bill.