Sizewell B is a nuclear power station on the Suffolk coast. It is the UK’s only Pressurised Water Reactor.
- Station Director: Paul Morton
- Reactor type: 1 Pressurised Water Reactor
- Total supply to the national grid: 1198 MW
- Start of construction: 1988
- Start of generation: 1995
- Estimated decommissioning date: 2035
- People: Approximately 520 full time EDF Energy employees plus over 250 full time contract partners
Turbine Generator 1
Next statutory outage
Turbine Generator 2
Next statutory outage
Nominal full load refers to the nominal maximum generation in megawatts from a reactor. The output from a reactor can fluctuate even when at full load for many reasons (e.g. plant conditions, sea water temperatures, operating limits/constraints etc). Where the output of a reactor is reduced by approximately 10% or more of its maximum, the reason for this will be shown. Generation figures are net of any imports into the station and may be negative when a unit is not generating.
Return to service dates are provided to the same accuracy as provided to National Grid under the requirements of the Grid Code and refer to the first full day of operation. Where a return to service date falls within approximately two weeks of the date of this report, the exact date will be shown. Where a return to service date is expected to fall more than two weeks into the future, the week commencing in which a reactor is due to return to service will be indicated (shown as “w/c”).
Sizewell B, a Pressurised Water Reactor, has one reactor and two turbines and therefore is classified as being “one reactor” and “two units”. The remainder of the stations are Advanced Gas Cooled Reactors, each having two reactors. Each of these is therefore classified as being “two reactors“ and “two units”.
Additional information on the availability of our nuclear power stations can be found on our REMIT page.
EDF Energy and the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority hold regular joint meetings (Site Stakeholder Group or SSG) with local people, the media, council and emergency services representatives and local politicians to maintain regular communications about the nuclear site. This meeting is independently chaired.
The SSG meeting dates for 2017 are below - venues to be arranged and will be updated in due course:
- 16 March 2017, 09.30am at Sizewell Sports and Social Club
- 15 June 2017, 7pm venue TBA
- 14 September 2017, 10am venue TBA
- 14 December 2017, 10am venue TBA
Drop into our visitor centre or book a station tour to see for yourself how we generate electricity in a nuclear power station. Our visitor centre has an interactive exhibition where you can find out more about nuclear power generation. We also offer pre-booked tours of the power station, and it's all free of charge.
Sizewell B power station
- Reception: +44 (0)1728 653653
- Media requests: Marjorie Barnes, +44 (0)1728 653378
- Community requests: Niki Rousseau, +44 (0)1728 653258