What happens if I don't pay my bill (I have a smart meter)?
We never want to take legal action against our customers. But this can happen if you don't pay your bill or get in touch to ask for help.
Any debt recovery action we take could affect your credit report – and future mortgage, mobile phone and credit card applications.
5 steps we take when you don't pay
The steps we take when you don't pay will depend on your circumstances. Here's what typically happens:
- Add a £10 late payment charge to your bill
- Visit you at home to collect payment (£)
- Put a default on your credit report (£)
- Remotely switch your smart meter to Pay As You Go
- Take legal action to get a County Court Judgement against you (£)
(£) = we might charge you debt recovery costs at this step
Are you struggling with debt?
Please don't struggle with debt alone. We can support you and help you find a more managable way to pay. Have a look at the help you can get from us and other independent charities and organisations.