Skip to main content

Debt advice and help to manage bills when you have an illness, a disability, or a mental health problem

We're here to help if you need extra or specialised support because of an illness, a disability, or a mental health problem.

Maybe you need money or debt advice, or help to pay and manage your bills.

You can get the help you need from us, or our partners Citizens Advice Plymouth and IncomeMax – or from many other charities and organisations.

So please don't struggle alone, find out what help is available for you.

Help from EDF and our partners


Get help from EDF

Please join our Priority Services Register (PSR) if you need extra or specialised support because of an illness, a disability or a mental health problem.

Once you join the register, we can get you the help you need – including help:

  • To manage your energy bills
  • To work out what benefits you can get
  • If you need another person to manage your energy account for you

Join the register


Citizens Advice Plymouth

We've teamed up with Citizens Advice Plymouth so that you can get free, independent advice to help manage your debt and reduce your energy costs.

The team can also help you with:

  • Energy poverty
  • Benefits and grants
  • Financial hardship

Go to Citizens Advice Plymouth



We've teamed up with IncomeMax to help our customers get all the right benefits.

If you’re struggling to pay your bills due to low income, IncomeMax can:

  • Check you're getting all the benefits and tax credits possible (even if you’re working)
  • Help you with your benefits claims
  • Give you top money-saving advice

Use IncomeMax's self-help guide

Use the easy self-help guide to maximising your income. It'll help you find free help and support you can get - from benefits and housing assistance, to free debt advice

Go to IncomeMax


Other sources of support


Mental Health & Money Advice

This site gives practical advice and support for people with mental health and money issues.

There's a savings calculator, budget planner and Universal Credit Manager – as well as top tips on mental health and money.

Go to Mental Health & Money Advice



Mind says that one in four of us will experience a mental health problem – and is determined to provide advice and support to everyone who needs it. If you have a mental health issue, it wants to help empower you to understand your condition and the choices you have.

Go to

Macmillan Cancer Support

Macmillan Cancer Support has lots of useful information to help save money and stay warm when you're going through cancer treatment.

The charity can give you lots of useful online tools, and also gives out Macmillan Grants to eligible people. This is a one-off payment that helps cover the higher cost of living that cancer can bring.

Go to Macmillan Cancer Support


Disability equality charity Scope runs a dedicated disability energy support service. This helps disabled people in England and Wales manage their energy and water needs.

There's help to deal with energy debt, access benefits, grants and trusts, and free fuel vouchers for some people.

Go to Scope


Disability Information Scotland

Disability Information Scotland provides information on common issues for people living with disability in Scotland – including where to go to find out about funding to heat your home.

Go to Disability Scotland


Your local authority

Some local authorities offer emergency help to pay for food, energy bills and other essentials.

They might also have an Energy Conservation Officer who can give you advice about about saving money through energy efficiency.

Your authority’s customer services department might be able to help direct you to the help you need.

Find your local authority