EDF Energy has a track record of operating, investing in and promoting nuclear power. This is clearly seen in our new nuclear build programme, but also in our efforts to promote the benefits of nuclear power worldwide.
We do this because we believe:
- In nuclear power and the positive contribution it can have.
- There are genuine differences between the various types of generation.
- In our view, the more businesses engage with where their electricity comes from, the more businesses will become aware of the carbon contribution being made on their behalf by electricity generators and suppliers.
As part of this ongoing work, we’ve now launched Blue for Business which can be chosen as an option within our business electricity supply contracts. Blue is backed by generation sourced from our nuclear power stations. As such, they have very low-carbon emissions associated with them. We’ve done this because:
- We want businesses to think about where their power comes from and to be clear about how the majority of it’s generated.
- We hope this clarity will help businesses engage with the issue of electricity generation and in particular - nuclear. We want businesses to appreciate nuclear power as we do and to engage with it through our products.
- This initiative is about clarity and engagement around nuclear, we want to be clear about what Blue for Business is NOT as well as what it is.
- We want to ensure that customers are buying this product because they agree with the values our products stand for.
To help understand the benefits fully, we’ve put together some frequently asked questions and provided clear and transparent answers.
|Energy sources||National Grid||Your business|
|Electricity is generated from a variety of sources, including low-carbon nuclear power|| Electricity is then transmitted through the National Grid and through your local distribution network.|| Then we supply the electricity to your business.|
This means that the actual electricity coming into your business can not be physically identified as coming from a particular type of generation source, so for our Blue customers we match the electricity we estimate they have used with electricity from a low-carbon source: nuclear power.
Whilst we are not promising that the electricity you use in your business will have come directly from a low-carbon nuclear source, we will ensure that we obtain enough electricity generated from a low-carbon nuclear source to match every unit of electricity estimated to have been supplied to our Blue customers.