I smell burning, or see sparks or smoke...

My electricity has been cut off – how do I get my supply reconnected?

You will need to contact your electricity supplier. They'll be able to get you reconnected – but only if you have an installation certificate (I-cert) that's dated within the past year.

If you don't have a certificate, or your I-cert is more than 12 months old, you can get one from an NICEIC-qualified electrician.

How to find who supplies your electricity:
  1. Use the energy network operator search tool to find your local energy network operator.
  2. Contact the network operator for your supplier details.

Do you have a smart pay as you go meter or prepayment meter?

Find out how to reconnect your smart pay as you go meter

Find out how to reconnect your prepayment (not smart) meter

Did that solve your problem?

SolvedI still need help

Excellent news!

We're glad we could help.

Log into MyAccountHelp Centre home

Looks like you need some more help

Get in touch

Contact UsHelp Centre home