Dealing with an energy account when a friend or family member has passed away

Looking after someone’s affairs while you’re grieving is never easy. So to try and make this easier, here's some information on what you need to do about their EDF Energy account. You'll also find details for some of our partners and ways they can offer extra help concerning bereavement.


Telling us someone’s passed away

The first thing you’ll need to do with the account is let us know that the account holder’s passed away. Choose the best way to let us know from these options. 


Use our online bereavement notification form

It's the simplest way to let us know someone has passed away. Fill out the bereavement form here and we'll do the rest for you. 



Contact our team of online advisers who'll guide you through the process.


Write to us

You might find it easier to write to us. Our address is Freepost EDF CUSTOMER CORRESPONDENCE


Call our EDF Energy team

If you'd rather speak to our dedicated bereavement notification team, call us on 0808 101 4115(1). The lines are open Mon-Fri 8am–6pm and Sat 8.30am–2pm. 


Information we’ll need

Please include the following information when you contact us (or have it to hand if you call):

  • Your name and contact details, including your phone number and an address where we can write to you 
  • The EDF Energy account holder’s details
  • Contact details for the solicitor who’s administering the estate (if you have one)
  • Up-to-date meter readings

In some circumstances we may also need to see a death certificate, coroner’s certificate, grant of probate or letters of administration.


What happens next

When you contact us we’ll tell you what will happen with the energy supply. Once we have all the information we need we’ll update the account, and send any further correspondence to the address you give us (although please be aware that if things like letters or bills are already in the post we won’t be able to stop them). 

We can also help you with things like reading the meter, understanding bills, changing tariffs, and any other questions you might have. If you’re worried about bills, struggling to manage your finances or you want to make sure you’re not missing out on any extra income, we can provide the support you need.


Other help and support

Citizens Advice Plymouth

Citizens Advice Plymouth can offer support wherever you are in the country. They can provide free, impartial and confidential advice on things like registering a death, funerals, wills, intestacy, income maximisation, counselling, and financial affairs. They’ll also signpost you to your local Citizens Advice who can put you in touch with support groups near you. Call 0808 156 6666 (1) free from a landline and select option 2.



We want to make sure you’re getting everything you’re eligible for and that your income is maximised to its full potential. When a loved one passes away you may qualify for extra financial help. To check if there are any state benefits or tax credits you’re missing out on we’ve teamed up with IncomeMax. You can call a dedicated support helpline provided by IncomeMAX between 9am−6pm Monday to Friday on 0800 177 7979(1)


Additional support

If you’re struggling with bereavement, there are lots of organisations who can provide bereavement support and information about ways to cope such as the NHS website. You might also want to contact Cruse Bereavement Care, a national charity for bereaved people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.