Low carbon travel
If you're up for making some low-carbon changes in your life, you could consider walking or cycling to work. When you get to work you can carry on being low carbon with our energy efficient tips for the office. Trains are generally better for the environment than planes, so if it's an option, you could always consider train travel for your next holiday. Even though cars are bad for the environment, for many of us they are still essential for getting around.
These are our top tips to be an energy efficient driver:
- Avoid sudden acceleration and heavy breaking – this saves you fuel.
- Drive away immediately when starting from cold – waiting around to heat the engine waste fuel and wears your engine.
- If you're stuck in a traffic jam, turn off your engine – this will save fuel and reduce emissions.
- Avoid short journeys. Cycle or walk instead – it's better for your health, you'll save money and it's better for the environment.
- The most efficient speed depends on the car – it's typically around 55-65mph, but this will depend on what speed limit you're in.
- Get your car serviced regularly to keep it running efficiently.