Your SmartView in-home display
The SmartView in-home display works with your smart meter to help you keep an eye on your energy use and costs.
The display has a simple traffic light system to show you how much energy you're using in real-time and much more.
Read on to find out more about what your in-home display can do.
Does your display look different to this one? See other in-home display models and user guides.
How to use your SmartView in-home display
The in-home display monitor
1. Signal strength: This shows if your in-home display is close enough to your meter.
2. Battery: The white battery symbol shows the battery power level. We recommend that you always leave your in-home display plugged into the electrical mains.
3. The home screen: Is divided into two. The top half shows your electricity consumption and the bottom half shows your gas. If you only have gas or electricity then only the energy you use will show. E.g. If you only have electricity then you'll only see the energy consumption for this and the gas flame won't appear.
4. Today: See how much you've used and spent today on your energy. If you've set a budget (B) you'll also see how you're doing against this. Press the up or down button to change the data view from £s into kWh.
5. Control Panel: Use this to navigate your in-home display.
6. Traffic light: This shows you how much energy you're using right now.
- Green is great
- Amber means you've got a few things on
- Red means it's time to switch something off
The buttons in more detail
1. OK: Use this to get to the Main Menu where you can choose your fuel and;
- View your historical energy data day by day, week, month or year
- Set a daily budget to help you manage your energy use
You can also use the OK button to confirm your choice when scrolling through options.
Press and hold the OK button to select restart.
2: Up and down arrows: Use the arrows to navigate around the screen and find the options and information you need.
3. Back arrow button: Use this to navigate back to a previous screen.
You can also press and hold the back arrow to access an overview of your recent energy usage compared to your budget (if you've set one up) and to previous days, weeks and months.
Key SmartView in home display screens for smart meters
Set budgets through your in-home display
With your SmartView in-home display, you can set your own daily budget value to help monitor and reduce your energy use.
The usage lights and indicators automatically update to your new budget value, helping you to understand how much energy you are using and helping to save money.
Showing your energy usage
SmartView gives you an easy way to view your historical energy usage in a traffic light system. It has detailed energy history for both electricity and gas. The interactive history screens allow you to see daily, weekly and monthly (actual and comparison) usage over the short to long term.
By combining the detail of actual values with the comparison graph, you can quickly and easily understand previous energy use on a single screen.
Download the SmartView user guide
Can't find the user guide our installer left for you? Don't worry - you can get it here too.
Tips to get the most out of your smart meter
Keep an eye on your energy
Try taking the in-house display around the house and turning different appliances on and off to see how this changes the amount of energy you're using.
Don't leave your appliances on standby
Research by uSwitch shows that we waste £227 million a year by leaving appliances on standby. That includes TVs, set top boxes and phone chargers.
Stay connected to your in-home display
Don't hide your in-home display. Leave it where you can see it easily, and as close as possible to the smart meter to make sure you have a strong connection.
SmartView troubleshooting tips and advice
Why is my smart meter not connecting?
The more bars you see at the top of the screen, the stronger the signal to your smart meter.
Move the display closer to the meter if you have a weak signal, or you see the 'connecting to smart meter' message.
How do I reset my in-home display?
You can reset your in-home display if you have connection issues, or if it stops updating.
Press and hold the 'OK button', then select 'restart'.
Can I unplug my in-home display?
We recommend that you always leave your in-home display plugged into the electricity mains.
Don't rely on the built-in rechargeable battery. It will only last for up to four hours between charges.