What do I do if I have a faulty gas or electricity meter?
View our emergency contact numbers if you can smell gas or have an electrical emergency.
- I can smell gas
- My meter is damaged
- My meter is noisy
- My meter is giving faulty readings
- My smart meter is not sending readings
- My prepayment meter or card/key is faulty
- My meter's box is broken
Call the National Grid gas emergency line on 0800 111 999 (1) straight away – then follow the gas emergency and safety advice.
A damaged gas meter can be dangerous – please report it as soon as possible by calling the National Grid gas emergency line on 0800 111 999 (1).
Dial 105 on your mobile or landline to get through to your local network distributor's emergency line.
They'll be able to help if there's an electrical emergency in your home or power cut in your local area.
It's quite normal for gas meters – especially old ones – to make a noise. But please click the Chat button on the right to speak to our online team if the noise is so loud that it disturbs you, so we can investigate.
Electricity meters don't usually make a noise, although Economy 7 meters with a timing switch can make a humming sound. If you're worried about a noise, click the Chat button on the right to let our online team know and we'll check it out.
If you can answer 'yes' to any of the following questions, it's more likely that your energy use has changed, rather than your meter is giving out faulty readings:
- Do you have more (or less) people living in your home than before?
- Has your property been empty for any length of time?
- Have you spent more (or less ) time in your property than normal?
- Did you give us a meter reading recently? If it's been a while since we last had a meter reading, your payments might have changed substantially to get them back in line with your energy use.
- Have you had new appliances or heating systems installed?
- Are you using your appliances more (or less) than before?
- Have you had your heating on more (or less) because of the weather?
If you still think your meter is giving faulty readings, click the Chat button on the right to speak to our online team. We'll ask you to check your readings for a set period of time, so we can see if we need to send your meter away for testing.
Click the Chat button on the right to speak to our online team if you think your smart meter isn't sending us readings. We can arrange for an engineer to check if there's a problem with the connection.
Prepayment meters are usually very reliable, but sometimes you can have a problem – maybe it's turned itself off, or you have credit but no gas or electricity, or your card won't charge.
It's the homeowner's responsibility to fix the meter box. So you or your landlord will have to arrange and pay for any repair or replacement.
If you can't open your meter box, it might just be that you need a key.
You can buy a new meter box, as well as meter keys, from most DIY and hardware stores; or have a look for them online.