How do I switch energy suppliers?
Or call us on 0333 009 7155
We're open Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm, and on Saturday from 8am to 2pm
Why switch to EDF Energy?
We're always improving our online services to help you manage your energy account without hassle in the way you want.
Backed by the Energy Switch Guarantee
We'll take responsibility for your switch, making sure the process is simple, reliable and hassle-free.
We can help you play your part in a low-carbon future. All our Blue fixed price tariffs are 100% backed by low-carbon nuclear generation.(1)
New products with you in mind
We're always developing new offers and there's a range of tariffs to suit all needs. You could choose a tariff with Amazon Echo to help you start your smart home journey. Or, opt for a tariff with boiler insurance to give you peace of mind.
Before you switch
Find out if your current contract has an exit fee - this will usually be on your energy bill. If there are exist fees, decide if you're happy to go ahead with the switch. The new tariff may still be better for you because of the price or any additional items it may include.
If you're already an EDF Energy customer there may be a tariff that's better for you. Take a look at our current tariffs.
What do I need to do after I switch energy providers?
When you receive your welcome pack, check all the details are correct.
Set up your online energy account.
Submit your first meter reading to us.
We then do the rest.
Choosing the right tariff for you
Think about what you want from your tariff. Do you want flexibility? Added cover for your boiler? Perhaps you want to start a smart home and would like smart products? Look at our range of tariffs to help you decide. There are some other things to bear in mind when thinking about new tariffs:
- Take a look at the details of the tariff – such as exit fees, energy sources, and if price rises are capped or not.
- Check if you need a specific tariff for the type of electricity meter you have – such as a prepayment meter or an Economy 7 meter.
- If you get the Warm Home Discount check whether your new supplier offer this. Read more about the Warm Home Discount with EDF Energy.
Switching tariff rather than energy supplier
What's the Energy Switch Guarantee?
Energy Switch Guarantee started from energy providers agreeing to make the process of switching easier. It means that if you decide to switch to us we'll deal with the whole process for you, making it hassle-free, dealing with any issues and giving you time to change your mind.
The hassle-free process
- All energy providers use the same wires and pipes, therefore your energy supply will not be interrupted.
- The switching service is free and will take no longer than 21 days from the date your new provider receives your completed application.
- Your new energy provider won’t need to visit your home to complete the switch unless you agree otherwise.
- Your new energy provider will arrange the switch, including contacting your current provider to let them know you are leaving.
Changing your mind
Your new energy provider will send you details of your new energy supply agreement to check, and you will have 14 days to change your mind. If you cancel in this time, you will stay with your current provider. Your new and current providers will work together to make sure you are not charged twice for the same energy.
We’ll deal with any problems
Don’t worry – if there are any problems during the switch, your new provider will contact you as soon as possible and will be responsible for sorting it out.
Your old provider will send you a final bill no later than six weeks after the switch. If they owe you any money, they will refund this to you no later than 14 days after sending you the final bill.