Smart meters can record more information than current electricity meters. In fact, they can capture and store data about your energy use as frequently as every half hour.
Smart meters also allow us, as your energy supplier, to collect this information directly via a remote connection. This means we’ll no longer need to ask you for regular meter readings.
- Smart meters should be installed in every property in Britain between now and 2020. We'll let you know when we have availability to install one at your business.
- The government is overseeing the smart meter rollout and has put rules in place to protect the data collected from your meter.
- As we would with a traditional meter, we'll hold some of your personal and business details on our systems in order to service your account.
You can choose how much information you share with us and how regularly we collect remote meter readings:
- The more reads you share with us, the better we can help you understand your usage. We can also recommend tariffs and services that could help you use less energy and save you money
- If you don't choose a preference we’ll collect your data from your smart meter on a monthly basis. But if you're happy for us to take meter readings more regularly (half-hourly or daily) you can give us your consent to do this (we'll also ask you about this when you call to book your installation appointment)
- You can change your meter reading preference any time by calling us on 0800 068 5918(1)
- You can say whether or not you’re happy for us to share details about your energy use with other organisations. For example, we may share your personal information with research agencies who may get in touch to see how you're getting on with your smart meter
- You can choose whether or not we use your meter data to promote our products to you
- You can choose which way you’d prefer to access information about your energy use and decide how to maximise the benefits from it
- You can let us know if you change your mind about any of these preferences at any time.