Currently we're having some technical problems with our telephone system. We apologise in advance if you've been affected by this. We're working to fix the issue as quickly as possible. In the meantime, our online services are still available.
What's a log-in code – and how does it work?
- You'll need a log-in code to get into MyAccount for one of three reasons:
- You’ve forgotten your MyAccount password (see below for two exceptions to this rule)
- You're signing into MyAccount for the first time
- You're signing into MyAccount from a new device.
- We send the secure code to your registered email address. It's then valid for 10 minutes, and can only be used once.
- Once you have your code, go back to MyAccount and type in the 6-digit log-in code when asked.
What happens if I didn't get my code?
First, have a look for your log-in code email in your spam or junk folder. If you still can't find it, go back to MyAccount to get another code – just click ‘Send code again by email'.
I've forgotten my password - why can't I get a log-in code?
You won’t be able to ask us for a log-in code if:
- you haven’t logged into MyAccount since 4 November 2017. You’ll need to log in with your permanent password – you can reset it if you need to.
- you've changed your username, but haven’t completed the verification. If you can't find the verification email we sent you, or if it’s expired, please get in touch by clicking the Chat button on the right.
Can I still use a permanent password after using a log-in code?
Yes, you can.
You can use your permanent password after using a log-in code to access MyAccount for the first time, or from a new device.
And if you need a new password at any point, you can reset it in the About Me section of MyAccount once you've used your code to log in.
Some people like to use a log-in code every time they access MyAccount, as it's more secure than using a permanent password.
Why do you send log-in codes?
If you forget your password, using a code is quicker and easier than having to reset your permanent password.
Log-in codes are also more secure than permanent passwords, as they only work once. Once you've used a code to log into MyAccount, it's no longer valid.
We’re also using log-in codes to give your account an extra layer of security. They let us check your identity when you log into MyAccount for the first time, or from a new device.