Before you move

Tell us you are moving home in MyAccount up to 14 days before you move.

Move home


When should I let you know I’m moving?

Please tell us as close to the day you’re moving as you can – so don’t contact us more than 14 days before your move date. And if you decide to tell us after you move, make sure you do that in the first 30 days of being at your new address.

We’ll need your:

  • Account number
  • New address
  • Closing meter readings (you might want to take a photo of them on your phone on the day you move as a record)
  • The contact details for the landlord or letting agent at your old address if you were renting

Your new home's energy supply

Who supplies electricity and gas at my new home?

It's a good idea to find out, as you should give the current supplier your opening meter readings. We can let you know who supplies the energy to your new home, so please get in touch.

Your local network operator (the company responsible for supplying gas and electricity to your home, but not for your bills) will be able to tell you who provides your electricity - just ask for their meter point administration service.

To find out who your gas supplier is, call the meter point administration service line on 0870 608 1524. Simply tell them your postcode and the first line of your address and they'll tell you who supplies gas to your property and also provide you with your MPRN (Meter Point Reference Number).

I have a letter that tells me EDF supplies my new home – what do I do next?

You'll be on our Deemed Tariff. Now you have moved in it is easy to get a new tariff for your new home by registering for myAccount or if EDF supplied your old home, you can go to 'Moving home' in MyAccount.

What is a Deemed Tariff?

This is provided for under Schedule 6 of the Electricity Act 1989 and Schedule 2B of the Gas Act 1986. This means we already supply electricity and/or gas to the property, but there is no formal supply agreement in place. Typically, this occurs where a person moves into a property and has not agreed specific contractual terms with the current supplier. This ensures the property remains on supply, even where the occupiers may change.


My new home has suddenly been disconnected – what do I do?

It sounds like you might have a smart Pay As You Go meter that's just run out of credit. Find out how to activate your emergency credit, or get in touch and we'll get you reconnected.

How do I get my new prepayment key or card?

Once you've signed up to your prepayment tariff for your new home, we'll send out your new electricity key and/or gas card. This should arrive when your switch to us completes. You can use the old key or card to top up your meter until your new ones arrive.

I think I've topped up the previous occupant’s account. What do I do?

Don’t worry, we can move your credit into your account. Please get in touch so we can get it transferred. We can help you set up an account if you haven't done this yet. Just remember to use your new account number each time you top up.

I'm a tenant – am I allowed to switch energy supplier when I move in?

If your name is going to be on the energy bill, you have the right to choose your own energy supplier. But your landlord has the right to choose your supplier if they pay the energy bills directly –for instance, the landlord pays the bill and reclaims the money from you; or your energy costs are included in the rent.

I'd like a smart meter in my new home.

If we can install a smart meter we'll be more than happy to arrange this for you. If we aren't installing smart meters in your area, we'll take your details and contact you when we are.

Register your interest for a smart meter, or contact us.

Moving out

Tell us you are moving home in MyAccount up to 14 days before you move.

Move home

What do I need to do?

Go to ‘Moving Home’ in MyAccount up to 14 days before your move, or up to 30 days after it. Then follow these steps:

  1. Tell us your move-out date.
  2. Enter your final meter readings if we ask you for them (you won't need to give them if you have a prepayment meter, and we'll take them automatically if you have a smart meter). Generally you should give your final meter readings on the day you no longer have responsibility for your home. If you can't manage on the day, you'll get another five days to submit your readings. After five days, we'll have to estimate your final readings.
  3. Give a forwarding address for your final bill.

We’ll then:

  • Close your account
  • Refund you if you’re in credit
  • Send you a final bill if you owe us anything

If you have a prepayment (pay-as-you-go) meter, you’ll need to use up any credit you have on your meter before you go.

Do I need to cancel my Direct Debit when I move out?

Please don't cancel your Direct Debit when you move out. If you keep you Direct Debit active, we can do everything for you.

This is how works:

  1. Log in to MyAccount to tell us about your move.
  2. We'll refund any money we owe you, or take your final Direct Debit payment, within 14 days of you getting your final bill (unless you've already paid it off). You should get your final bill from us within 5 working days of moving out.
  3. We'll cancel your Direct Debit, and remove your bank details from our system.

If you've chosen an EDF tariff for your new home, we'll help you set up a new Direct Debit for that address.

What happens if I don't give my final meter readings?

We can check if the person who’s moved into your property has given us their opening meter reading. If they have, we’ll use this to work out your final bill and close your account. If they haven’t, we’ll estimate your readings and use these to work out your final bill.

This is why it’s so important to remember to give us your meter readings – it’s the only way to make sure you only pay for the energy you use.

When will I get my final bill?

We’ll send your final bill to your forwarding address within five days of your move (or a little longer if we're waiting for your final meter readings). But only if you've already told us about your move.

How do I get a refund for any unused credit on my meter?

Try to use up all the credit on your meter before you move. If you can’t, we can refund any leftover credit by cheque. You'll need to tell us at least two days before you move out that you'd like a refund.

I pay by Direct Debit. How do I get a refund if my account is in credit when I move out?

We'll refund your bank account within three working days of you closing your account – as long as your Direct Debit is still active. We'll then cancel your Direct Debit, and remove your bank details from our system.

If you’re taking EDF to your new home, we'll help you set up a new Direct Debit.

I pay by Cash / Cheque. How do I get a refund if my account is in credit when I move out?

We'll refund your bank account or card within seven working days of you closing your account. If you usually pay by cash, we'll send you a cheque within seven working days of you getting your final bill.

What do I do if I can't pay off the debt on my meter before I move?

Please get in touch before you move out. We can work with you to find an affordable way for you to pay off your debt. Please don't ignore your debt, as we'd have to start our debt recovery process.

What should I do with my prepayment top-up key or card?

Please leave your top-up key and card behind for the people who move in next.

Your BoilerCare and HeatSmart

What happens to my BoilerCare insurance when I move out?

If you have an active BoilerCare plan which started after 03 March 2021, you'll need to let Domestic & General know by calling 0800 497 0707(1).

If you have an active boiler cover policy which started before 03 March 2021, you'll need let Collinson know by calling 0345 600 0453. You can find all the Collinson policy documents here.

What happens to my HeatSmart if I move home?

You can take your HeatSmart thermostat with you when you move home. But you'll need a qualified electrician to remove it, and reinstall it in your new home.

Not taking it with you?
Please unregister the thermostat from your app, so the person who moves in next can then download the app and register the thermostat in their name.

Can you control multiple zones with HeatSmart?

You can use HeatSmart® for multi-zone heating, but you'll need a smart thermostat for each zone. All of the smart thermostats can be controlled from the same app.

Other helpful pages

Your renewable technology systems

What should I do when I move home after installing a heat pump?

This works the same as moving home with any other renewable system that you may have installed.
If you're receiving the Renewable Heat Incentive subsidy then you will have to transfer the subsidy to the new owner.

What happens if I move home and I have a hybrid air source heat pump?

This works the same as any other renewable system that you have installed where you have an option to either pay the termination fee or the new homeowner will need to take over the contract. Contact us to start the process which is called the ‘transfer of assignment of right contract’.

Will I be eligible for a Feed-in Tariff if I move into a house that already has a system that generates electricity?

Owning a home doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get Feed-in Tariff payments. That’s because sometimes a previous owner or the company that installed a system still owns it. So you’ll need to show us proof that you own it before we can pay you.

If you’re thinking about buying or selling a property which already has a renewable technology system, you should get some independent legal advice. And if you’re looking at renting somewhere with a system installed, talk to your landlord about who gets the Feed-in Tariff payments.

If you’re selling your home, fill in a change of ownership form. If you move into a house and you’re eligible for the Feed-in Tariff, fill in this change of ownership form. Send completed forms to:

You can keep ownership of your Feed-in Tariff, even if you sell your house. But you need to make arrangements to make sure you meet your contractual obligations. Check your Statement of Terms to find out what these are.

Find more information about Feed-In Tariffs.

Did you find this page helpful?

Helpful thanks!I still need help

Excellent news!

We're glad we could help.

Log into MyAccountHelp Centre home

Need more help?

Get in touch

Contact UsHelp Centre home