Smart Pay As You Go
I'd like to know about...
How to avoid running out of credit
What happens if you run out of credit?
Your energy supply will be cut off if your balance drops to £0.
To get switched back on, you simply have to top up by enough to pay for:
- Any debt on your meter (like any missed standing charge or instalment plan payments)
- Your ongoing energy use
Once you’ve done that, you can switch your meter back on. You can do this on your meter by folowing the instructions on the meter display, or on your in-home display by folowing these instructions.
Keep on top of your balance
By keeping on top of your balance, you'll always know when you need to top up. You can check your balance:
- In the app
- In MyAccount (under 'Meter balance')
- On your in-home display and smart meter
Set auto top-ups
Make sure your smart PAYG meter never runs out of credit by setting auto top-ups. Go the app or MyAccount to choose how much you want to add and when. Maybe you'd like to add £10 of credit every time your balance drops to £5, for instance.
Set auto top-ups in MyAccount:
- Go to My payments and select 'Auto top-ups'
- Choose when your auto top-ups happen, and how much credit to add each time
- Enter your credit or debit card details and confirm payment
Set auto top-ups in the app:
- Tap ‘Manage electricity’ or ‘Manage gas’ on the PAYG screen – and select 'Auto top-ups'
- Choose when your auto top-ups happen – and how much credit to add each time
- Enter your credit or debit card details and tap “Update auto top-up"
Top up on the go with the app
- Tap “Top up your meter” on the home screen of your EDF app
- Choose the amount you want top up or enter in other amount
- Tap “Confirm top-up”
- Enter your credit or debit card details (you can save your card for quicker future payments)
- Click “Top up now”
Change your low-balance alerts for your smart Pay As You Go meter
You'll automatically get a low-balance alert every time your balance drops to £5 (unless you've turned the alerts off, or you've set auto top-ups). You'll get your alerts by text or email.
Most meters let you change your low-balance alert. Maybe you want to get an alert every time your balance drops to £10 or £20, for instance.
Change your low-balance alert in MyAccount:
- Go to 'My payments' and click 'Low balance alert'
- Choose to change your electricity or gas; and click your new alert level (£10, £15 or £20)
- Click 'Update' – and relax.
Change your low-balance alert in the app:
- Tap ‘Manage electricity’ or ‘Manage Gas’ on the PAYG screen
- Select ‘Set up’ low balance alerts
- Choose the amount for your alert, or select ‘Turn on Low-balance alert’
- Tap ‘Confirm low-balance alert’
Top up when you're away
Remember you still need to top up if you're going to be away. Things like your fridge and freezer will still be using energy. You have a daily standing charge to pay. And any debt repayments you're making will carry on.
Why not download the app? You can keep an eye on your balance and top up wherever you are.
Did you find this page helpful?Helpful thanks!I still need help
We're glad we could help.
Need more help?
Get in touch