I've got a faulty gas prepayment meter or card - what do I do?
(This information is for prepayment meters only; it's not for pay-as-you-go smart meters.)
Call the National Grid gas emergency line on 0800 111 999 (1) straight away – then follow this gas emergency and safety advice.
A damaged gas meter can be dangerous – please report it as soon as possible to the National Grid gas emergency line on 0800 111 999 (1).
Please don't touch your meter if it looks damaged.
You might need an engineer to come out to look at your meter. Please call 0333 200 5110 (2) to arrange an appointment.
Your gas prepayment meter might have switched itself off for safety if you'd previously run out of credit.
To turn your gas prepayment meter back on:
1. Insert your card in your meter
2. Once you've turned off all your gas appliances, press the red button on your meter
3. Your meter should now say 'HOLD for gas': press and hold the red button for about 10 seconds
4. Your meter should now say 'Release for gas': let go of the button, and your gas should be back on.
If that doesn't work, click the Chat button on the right, and one of our Live Chat agents will help. Please be near your meter, as we might have to ask you a few questions.
Please get in touch by clicking the Chat button on the right. We'll help you sort out the problem.
There are a number of reasons why your prepayment card might not be working, here are a few things that might have gone wrong:
Check your receipt: if it says 'Cancelled' or 'Failed', your transaction didn't complete, so you'll need to try again.
Dirty or damaged card
- Sometimes your pay as you go top up card might just be a bit dirty – try giving the barcode a wipe with a clean, dry cloth.
- If it's still not working, you can always use your top up ID to top up your pay as you go meter at your local PayPoint outlet. You don’t need a top up card to add credit online or over the phone either.
- But if you do want a new card, you can order one online (you'll get the option to print one too):
- Log in to MyAccount – go to 'My payments' and click 'Order a new top up card'.
- Choose whether you need a new card for electricity or gas.
- Once you've confirmed your order, you'll be given the option to print off a new card too.
If your meter display shows an error message, get in touch by clicking the Chat button on the right. Please be near your meter, as we'll need to ask you a few questions.
If none of the above applies to your situation, get in touch by clicking the Chat button on the right. We'll try to work out what's happened.
(1) Calls to 0800 numbers are free of charge from all consumer landlines and mobile phones. If you are calling from a business phone you should check with your provider whether there will be a charge.
(2)Calls to UK wide numbers are included in any inclusive call plan you may have. If you don’t have an inclusive call plan, calls are charged at a national rate. Please check with your service provider if you’re unsure.