I pay by Cash/Cheque
Your energy plan and Cash/Cheque
What is an energy plan?
We put the energy plan together when you got the quote with us.
Your energy plan includes the tariff you've chosen, the unit price of the energy we provide, the way you pay, and how often.
Go to MyAccount to view your contract with us and the full of details of your energy plan.
What does paying by Cash/Cheque mean?
With Cash/Cheque you get a bill each month or quarter and pay it by cash, card or cheque. You can also pay by setting up a standing order. Check out all the ways to pay.
You need to pay your bill within 14 days - check out our struggling to pay information if you think you can't pay your bill on time. We can help you find a more affordable way to pay.
Find out more about how to read your meter and how to submit a meter reading
Do I need to submit meter readings when I pay Cash/Cheque (monthly)?
Although we send you a bill every month, you only need to give your meter readings every three months (unless you have a smart meter, as it sends your readings automatically).
This is enough to keep your payments in line with your energy use.
Any month we don't ask you for a meter reading, we send you an estimated bill. If you send a meter reading after you get an estimated bill, we can replace it with a bill for the energy you've used.
Do I need to submit meter readings when I pay by Cash/Cheque (Quarterly)?
Please note, Cash/Cheque (Quarterly) is no longer offered to new customers or existing customers wanting to change payment method.
Yes, you need to give us meter readings to keep your payments in line with your energy use.
- We'll ask you for a meter reading every three months. If you give us your reading on time, we'll send you a bill for the energy you've used instead of an estimated bill.
- You can also give us a meter reading when you get an estimated bill. We'll cancel your estimated bill and replace it with a bill for the energy you've used.
Credit or debit on my account
Why is my account showing as being in credit?
You might find that you're in credit when you give us a reading, especially if it's been a while since your last reading. This would happen if you've been using less energy than we expected.
You don't need to ask us for a refund – we'll use the credit on your account to reduce your next bill.
My account is in credit. How do I claim a refund?
- Make sure you've submitted a meter reading within the past 10 days.
- Then fill in our online refund form.
- You should then see your refund in your bank account within three working days.
How do I pay off the debit on my bill?
There are lots of ways to pay your bill:
- Log in to MyAccount to pay by debit or credit card.
- Call our automated phone line on 0333 200 5108(1) to pay by debit or credit card.
- Pay via your bank. Remember to give your EDF account number as the reference. Payments can take up to three working days to reach us; we accept Faster Payments. Pay using:
- Sort code 40-05-30
- Account number 13845095
- Go into your bank and pay by cash or cheque. Make your cheque out to EDF Customers Ltd, and write your EDF account number on the back of the cheque. Your bank may charge you for this.
- Go to the Post Office to pay by cash or cheque (Post Office Locals don't accept cheques).
How many bills do I get a year when I pay by Cash/Cheque (Monthly)?
You'll get 12 bills a year (one every month).
How many bills do I get a year when I pay by Cash/Cheque (Quarterly)?
Cash/Cheque (Quarterly) is no longer offered to new customers or existing customers wanting to change payment method.
You'll get a bill every three months.
Why have you cancelled and replaced my bill?
This happens if we get a meter reading from you just after you've had an estimated bill. We replace the estimated bill with a bill for the energy you've actually used.
When will I get my final bill?
If you're switching energy providers, you should get your final bill from us within six weeks of your switch date.
If you're moving home and closing your account, we’ll send your final bill to your forwarding address within five days of your move (or a little longer if we're waiting for you final meter readings).
We automatically refund any credit back to you within seven working days of you getting your final bill. We'll refund your bank account or card if this is how you usually pay; otherwise you'll get a cheque through the post.
Credit or debit on my account
Calls to UK wide numbers are included in any inclusive call plan you may have. If you don’t have an inclusive call plan, calls are charged at a national rate. Please check with your service provider if you’re unsure.