Type another question

How does emergency credit work on a gas prepayment meter?

Summary

 

  • We never want you to be left without an energy supply, so we give you £6 of emergency credit on your prepayment meter. This gives you time to get out and top up your credit.
  • You always have to pay back the emergency credit you've used, so that you're covered in case of another emergency. You also have to pay back any standing charges and instalment plan payments you might have missed (we don't take these payments while you're using emergency credit).
  • Press the red button on your meter to find out what you owe for the emergency credit you've used, and for any standing charges and instalment plan payments you've missed.
  • As soon as you next top up your meter with credit, we'll automatically take a payment for the emergency credit you've used, and for any missed standing charges and instalment plan payments.
  • Here's what happens if you don't put enough credit on your card to cover all the emergency credit you've used, and any standing charges and instalment plan payments you've missed : your gas meter will take 70% of your top-up to pay off some of the debt, leaving 30% on your meter for your on-going gas use.
  • This information is for prepayment meters only; it's not for pay-as-you-go smart meters.

 

My credit is running low – how do I get emergency credit?

When your gas meter has run of out of credit, take your card out of the meter, then put it back in. This will activate your emergency credit.

 

How do I know if I'm using emergency credit?

If you see the words 'EMER IN USE' on your meter display, you're using emergency credit. The number on the screen tells you how much emergency credit you have left.

 

How can I tell how much emergency credit I've used?

With your card in the meter, press and hold the red button until the main display comes on. Then press the red button again to see a screen that says 'OWED'.

This screen will show you what you owe in total for emergency credit, and missed standing charges and instalment plan payments.

 

How do I pay back the emergency credit I've used?

Paying back all your emergency credit debt

Top up your card with enough credit to cover:

  • the emergency credit you've used
  • any missed standing charges or instalment plan payments
  • your ongoing gas use.

When you put your card in the meter, we'll take a payment to clear your debt. Any credit left after that pays for your ongoing energy use.

Paying back your emergency credit debt in stages

If you don't put enough credit on your card to pay back all your emergency credit debts, here's what happens.

As soon as you top up your card and put it back into your meter:

  • we automatically take 70% of your credit to pay for your debt
  • you keep the other 30% of your credit for your on-going energy use.

The same thing happens until you've paid back all your emergency credit debts.

 

You took more off my meter than the emergency credit I used – what can I do?

Have you remembered that we take a payment for emergency credit and for any missed standing charge and instalment plan payments?

If you still think we've taken too much credit off your meter, please get in touch by clicking the Chat button on the right. We'll help you sort it out.