New Green Homes Grant Scheme - What you need to know

On Tuesday 7th July the Government announced a new £2bn scheme to help homeowners across England improve the energy efficiency of their homes. The scheme, called the Green Homes Grant is due to start in September and run until March 2021. Details still need to be confirmed but it should be a great way for our customers to improve the energy efficiency of their homes. Installing changes like this can also lead to lower energy bills and reduce your home's carbon footprint. As Britain's largest generator of low-carbon electricity, we welcome any steps that support our customers towards achieving net-zero. The scheme will also offer a boost to the energy efficiency industry as it emerges from COVID-19 restrictions. 

We don't have the full details on the Green Homes Grant Scheme and how it will work - see what we know so far below.

What is the Green Homes Grant?

The new Green Homes Grant is a Government incentive providing a contribution towards the cost of installing energy efficiency measures across England. The grant is expected to cover a range of energy-saving measures, including loft and wall insulation. The Government hasn't yet given a complete is of the improvements that will be covered by the scheme.

 How much can I get?

The grant could cover at least two-thirds of the cost up to a maximum of £5,000. For homeowners with lower incomes, the scheme could award up to £10,000 covering the full cost.

How do I access the grant?

We're still waiting for the full details to be released but it's expected applications will be made via an online portal.

Will the scheme replace the existing ECO scheme?

No, the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme will still run offering our customers energy efficiency measures to lower their heating costs such as of insulation. Find out more about the scheme and if you qualify.

Is the scheme only available in England?

Yes, the scheme is only available for homeowners across England - so, unfortunately, it won't cover homes in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.