How your smart meter helps you
Your smart meter measures how much energy you’re using and sends us regular readings. Your monitor will show you:
- How much energy you used in real time
- Your energy history and how much energy you’ve used over the last week, month or year
- Current tariff information, so you can stay in control
How to use your smart meter
Smart meters replace your existing gas and electricity meters. In most instances they’ll be installed in the same location. What’s great about smart meters is that they come with a handy little monitor called the ‘in-home display’. They’re not compulsory, but if you choose to have one you’ll be able to see how much energy you’re using in real time and throughout the day. You can view your energy history, helping you reduce your energy use and compare weeks or months. To make sure you’re getting the most out of your in-home smart meter display we’ve created some simple guides.
How to read your smart meter display
What does your in-home display look like? Choose the right picture to see how it works and what it can tell you.
Getting the most from your smart meter system
If you’ve got energy goals, we can help. Here are some tips to help start saving energy today.
- Smart meters monitor your energy use hourly, daily and yearly – so you can set long-term goals to lower your energy use
- The traffic light system will glow green when you’re using less energy and red when you’re using more
- You can switch between gas and electricity, to see exactly how much you’re using of each
- Your display will show you how much you’re likely to spend on electricity in an hour if you continue using the same electrical items