Hinkley Point B is a nuclear power station near Bridgwater in Somerset. The station was the first Advanced Gas-cooled Reactor to generate electricity to the grid in the UK.
- Station Director: Peter Evans
- Reactor type: 2 Advanced Gas-cooled Reactors
- Total supply to the national grid: 965 MW
- Coolant: Carbon dioxide gas (CO2)
- Start of construction: 1967
- Start of generation: 1976
- Estimated decommissioning date: 2023
- People: Approximately 535 full time EDF Energy employees, plus over 220 full time contract partners
Find out which reactors at our eight nuclear power stations are in service and what they are generating.
This information is updated on weekdays.
Drop into our visitor centre or book a station tour to see for yourself how we generate electricity in a nuclear power station.
Our visitor centre has an interactive exhibition where you can find out more about nuclear power generation. We also offer pre-booked tours of the power station and it's all free of charge
EDF Energy and the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority hold regular joint meetings with local people, the media, council and emergency service representatives and local politicians, to maintain regular communications about the nuclear site. This meeting is independently chaired.
The next Site Stakeholder Group meeting will be held on Friday 8 March 2019.
Hinkley Point B power station
+44 (0)1278 654600
- Media requests:
+44 (0)1278 484098
- Community requests:
+44 (0)1278 654699