New partnership will help people from Suffolk to get jobs at Sizewell C
Sizewell C has joined forces with Inspire Suffolk and Access Community Trust to ensure people in the Leiston, Saxmundham, Ipswich and Lowestoft areas can access the thousands of jobs and apprenticeships at the planned power station.
The new partnership will bring a new community hub to Leiston offering a Youth Employment Service which is jointly funded with East Suffolk Council. The funding will also enhance services in existing hubs at Ipswich, Saxmundham and Lowestoft. These hubs provide education support, work readiness, work experience, employment support, schools outreach, mental health and housing. The hubs will also be places to find out about working at Sizewell C.
The community hubs draw on the success and experience of Sam’s café in Lowestoft, a social enterprise café run by Access Community Trust and Inspire Suffolk’s community centre in Ipswich. The centres have helped thousands of those most in need in Suffolk to get help and improve their opportunities.
Terry Baxter, Inspire Suffolk CEO, said: “Thanks to Sizewell C, Inspire Suffolk and Access Community Trust can come together to deliver even more support to those most in need in the county. Working together we can now cover an area stretching from north Essex, across Suffolk, up to Norfolk.”
Emma Ratzer, MBE, Access Community Trust CEO, said: “The new centre will join the existing hubs to provide a place for local people to access help and support on a range of issues from mental health through to helping people become work-ready.”
Jim Crawford, Sizewell C project development director, said: “Sizewell C is needed to fill the energy gap and fight climate change. It will also create thousands of jobs and provide a boost in training, skills and education in the region. This new partnership with Inspire Suffolk and Access Community Trust will ensure that people right across Suffolk can access well paid employment and develop their careers during the construction and operation of Sizewell C.”
The Leiston Hub
- The Leiston Hub will deliver the Youth Employment Service (YES) in the area
- The primary functions of the service will be to enable young people to discover new job opportunities; get careers advice and improve their CV; boost their skills with training; and gain industry experience. Sizewell C will be a major employer in the area and Sizewell B already employs 800 people so the hub will be particularly important for talking with local people about employment opportunities.
- Young people will contact the service and speak with Employment Coaches who will support their journey towards employment.
- The main users of the service are those between the ages of 16 and 25
- The Leiston address is the ‘YES Careers Hub’ and is located at 46 High Street, Leiston, IP16 4EW
Inspire Suffolk and Access Community Trust
YES Careers Hub
Bevan Street East