Over £5million has been awarded to projects across Somerset through the Hinkley Point C Community Fund.
The projects to receive funding have been as diverse as a new village hall for Stogursey through to a cycle path between Brean and Weston Super Mare. Watch our film and hear about how the funding has helped local projects.
David Eccles, Hinkley Point C Head of Stakeholder Engagement said: “It’s great to see so many brilliant local projects launch thanks to the Hinkley Point C community fund. It’s our aim to fund projects that will provide a long lasting positive effect, and be a true legacy for the community for years to come.”
Stogursey Parish Council and the Victory Hall Committee, said: "Stogursey Victory Hall Committee and the parish council are delighted with the prospect of a fit for purpose new village hall, funded mainly from the CIM fund. This will be a great legacy derived from the Hinkley Point C project".
EDF Energy has committed £20 million to community funds with the ambition of improving the social, economic and environmental wellbeing of communities that are affected by the development of Hinkley Point C’s Nuclear Power Station. This is in addition to improvements to local infrastructure agreed and the investment made in local skills and employment, supporting the UK industrial strategy to build prosperous regional communities.
The funding has included –
- Building of Wembdon Village Hall and playing fields (£200k)
- Support of Sydenham Together who coordinate and provide activities that help vulnerable households, strengthen the community and promote integration of HPC workers and families (£60k)
- Supporting Young People through Bridgwater Education Trust by boosting employability, skills and further education (£18k)
- Provision of a pedestrian and cycleway between Brean and Weston Super Mare, to help promote tourism in the area (£400k)
- Creation of a ‘kitchen theatre’ at YMCA Somerset Coast Beach Hotel to help attract tourists to the area and boost the local economy, as well as providing employment, skills and training opportunities for young people (£12.5k)
- Supported the Somerset Education Business Partnership to provide face to face and online resource for employers, schools and individuals to advertise local employment opportunities, events, work experience, apprentice / traineeships.
- Brokerage of work place learning, careers guidance. Guidance for employers in how to recruit young people. Help facilitate links between schools and businesses.
The HPC Community Impact Mitigation Fund is administered by Somerset local authorities and Somerset Foundation and financed by EDF Energy.
These projects have received funding as part of the £7.2 million fund established by EDF Energy to minimise the impact and maximise the benefits for local communities surrounding the Hinkley Point C site.
To find out more about funding through the Community Impact Mitigation Fund, click here: www.hpcfunds.co.uk