main content

Your questions answered

If you have a question about your large business or organisation, you may find the answer below.

What is a change of supplier transfer, and what happens when this occurs?

What is a change of supplier transfer? This is where a customer has decided to change from one electricity supplier to another.
What happens when this occurs? The existing supplier is contacted and advised that another supplier wishes to register the customers supply.
I have been advised that my change of supplier transfer was objected to. Why? Existing suppliers are able to object to a customer leaving for a number of reasons. The most common of these are outstanding debt on an account, or the customer still being under contract.
Who is responsible for taking the meter reading? The new supplier is responsible for organising the opening/closing reading - this will either be an actual or estimated read. Both companies receive the same reading and will use them to open/close your accounts. Click here to submit a meter reading online.
An incorrect meter reading has been taken. What can I do? You will need to contact your new supplier to organise a revised meter reading. If the opening/closing reading is wrong, it can be disputed and changed.

I'd like to understand more about the different parts of the new connections process?

Where can I get an EDF Energy New connection form for an electricity supply? Visit our Connection services web page, or click here to be taken straight to our new supply connection for your business form.
What is an MPAN/Supply Number?
An MPAN (Meter Point Administration Number) or Supply Number is a 13-digit unique number identifying the network operator and the location of the metering point. An MPAN number is unlike a Meter Serial Number as it does not physically appear on the meter itself.
Where do I get an MPAN from?
MPAN numbers are given to customers when a request is made to the network operator for either a new connection or a change/upgrade of infrastructure. Customers that do not have an MPAN, but have already had infrastructure work carried out should contact their Network Operator Project Manager who is responsible for the work; they will be able to provide you with the number. 
Who is my Network Operator Project Manager?
The Project Manager is the person allocated from your Network Operator/distribution company who is responsible for arranging the infrastructure at your site. They will contact you regarding the dates for installation (or upgrade) of your cables, and will provide you with all of the details you need to help you get your site ready for a meter to be installed. They will also be responsible for providing you with your MPAN number, along with an individual project reference number.
Who is going to be my Meter Operator?
A Meter Operator (or MOP) is the company that will go to site and fit your meter. If your meter is going to be non-half hourly (NHH) your supplier will allocate the local meter operator to install metering at your site. If you require a half-hourly (HH) meter to be fitted, you will need to choose a meter operator to attend your site to fit the meter. You must arrange a contract (known as a Meter Operator Agreement) with your chosen meter operator in order for this work to go ahead. If you would like EDF Energy Customer Field Services to be your half-hourly meter operator, please phone 0208 298 8005.
How do I get a Meter Operator Agreement set-up?
Once you have chosen your meter operator, you will need to call them and arrange a contract - they will supply you with all of the necessary paperwork. The contract will include payment for the meter to be fitted as well as an annual payment for the maintenance of that meter. The MOP agreement will not organise a meter installation date. You will need to liaise with your supplier in order to get a meter installation date after you have set-up a MOP Agreement. Without this MOP Agreement in place, the meter installation date cannot be arranged. If you would like EDF Energy Customer Field Services to be your half-hourly meter operator, please phone 0208 298 8005.
How do I know what metering to request?
The type of meter you will need is dependant on your supply capacity (kVA) as agreed with your network operator. Your Network Operator Project Manager will be able to advise you. However, some generic advice is presented below:
- For supplies up to and including 100amps you are likely to require Whole Current metering.
- For supplies over 200 amps you will need Current Transformer (CT) metering as there will be more usage going through the meter.
What is CT metering?
There are two types of CT metering; non-half hourly (NHH) and half-hourly (HH). The only difference between the two meter types is the device for collecting consumption data: a HH meter has an internal communication device with a remote connection to the meter, whereas a NHH meter is read manually.
What is the purpose of HH metering and how do I know if I need it?
HH metering allows a record of your consumption to be sent via a telephone connection every half-hour to a central data bank. The supplier will then receive this information from the Data Collector and invoice the customer appropriately. HH metering is required if your supply has an agreed capacity (kVA) that is too high for a NHH meter (this level can fluctuate throughout the Meter Operator Market). It can also be requested in circumstances where there will be limited or no access for a meter engineer to read the meter on a monthly basis.
What is an Electrical Installation Certificate?
An Electrical Installation Certificate is a form that needs to be present on-site when a metering engineer arrives to carry out any work. It must be signed by an electrician and states that the site is up to the agreed electrical standards that are required by the meter operator. The details of the standards expected are issued to the customer via the Network Operator Project Manager.


What happens when a large business moves location?

What happens when a customer moves location? This is when the party responsible for paying the electricity bills changes within the property.
Who is responsible for advising the supplier of this change?
It is the responsibility of both the outgoing and incoming parties to advise the existing electricity supplier a change has occurred. However, the outgoing party is responsible until a final reading has been obtained/supplied.
I’ve moved into a new property which is not supplied by EDF Energy; however I’d like EDF Energy to be my supplier. What can I do? If you would like to switch to EDF energy, you will need to raise a moving location request. This can be done online via our Moving location web page. 
I’ve moved into a new property supplied by EDF Energy; however I’d rather choose my own supplier. What can I do?
If EDF Energy is the registered supplier for this premise, it is our responsibility to charge the occupier for the electricity consumed. 

I've heard the term availability (kVA) or Agreed Capacity used. What does this mean?

What is Availability (kVA)? Availability (kVA) or Agreed Capacity refers to the limit of capacity for a site. E.g. if a site has an Availability of 150 kVA then maximum demand should not exceed that figure at any time. It is set and charged by the local Distribution Network Operator (DNO), according to the kVA of a premise. This fee covers investment and maintenance of the electricity network and can also be called the Capacity Charge. Customers pay a fee (per unit) according to the agreed capacity for the site. In theory, maximum demand should not exceed the agreed capacity at any time.
I have just taken over a property which has a higher Agreed Capacity than I need. How can I change this? The kVA charge can only be changed through your DNO. Contact your DNO directly to discuss your demand requirements.
I do not require the Agreed Capacity (kVA) on my premise. Why hasn’t it been changed automatically? The kVA charge is an agreement between the customer and the DNO. Should you wish to permanently change the kVA on your premise, you should contact your DNO directly.
I have an Agreed Capacity (kVA) for my premise. Why am I being charged for excess availability?
The Agreed Capacity is the limit of capacity which has been agreed with the DNO. However; it is possible to use more than the Agreed Capacity on your property. Should this happen, the excess kVA will be applied to the additional usage.

How can meter readings improve the accuracy of my bills?

How do I read my meter? Please visit our Submit your meter reading web page to improve your meter reading skills. If you need further assistance, please phone 0845 366 3664.
I’d like to submit a meter reading. How can I go about this?
You can submit a meter reading online.  
I’m currently receiving bills based on estimated meter readings. Why aren’t my bills based on actual meter readings? The data collector is only obliged to read the meter once every two years. If no readings are received, then estimated readings will be used, based on the annual consumption which is provided by the Distribution Network Operator (DNO) within your area. Click here to submit a meter reading online.
I want to improve the way I manage my electricity accounts. What can I do?
Sign up for Energy Zone. It’s a free service which allows you instant access to your electricity account data, any time you want it. It also includes a range of tools to help you extract the information you need.

I have a question regarding my bill?

My bill shows that I’ve been charged Late Payment Interest (LPI). Why is this? If you have been late in paying your energy bill, you may be charged LPI. Please refer to our T&Cs in the Document Library or call 0845 366 3664 for more information.
How do I find out more about the Value Added Tax (VAT) which I’m paying?
The level at which businesses pay VAT on their energy bill depends on their average energy consumption. Visit our Billing & payment options page to read more about paying the right VAT.
I'd like to understand more about the layout of my bill. What can I do? Visit our bill guides section to learn more about how to read your bill. 

Contact us

Still not sure?
Please call our
Customer Service Team

0845 366 3660